Overcrowded shopping malls. Resisting holiday treats. Impressing the in-laws. Yes, we understand how stressful the holidays can be. It can be difficult to put on a positive outlook in a time of seasonal blues. That’s why we’ve complied a list of expert-endorsed tips to fight off holiday stress, courtesy of Health Magazine.
- Walk Away from Worries: Believe it or not, walking around the block and soaking up some sun can improve your mood. The rhythm and repetition of walking has a tranquilizing effect on your brain, and it decreases anxiety and improves sleep.
- Forget Perfection: You don’t have to do it all. Stop obsessing over meaningless things – everyone’s house can be messy from time to time. Focus your energy on spending time with the people who matter.
- Stick to a Daily Routine: Prioritize your day. Don’t squeeze in more than you can chew. Remember it’s okay to slow down a bit.
- Savor a Spicy Meal: Food with a kick of heat triggers the release of endorphins, a natural chemical that provokes the feeling of euphoria and well-being.
- Take a Whiff of Citrus: Researchers had found that certain citrus fragrances increase the levels of norepinephrine, a hormone that affects mood.
The Villa Orlando and Pasadena Villa’s Smoky Mountain Lodge are adult intensive psychiatric residential treatment centers for clients with serious mental illnesses. We also provide other individualized therapy programs, step-down residential programs, and less intensive mental health services, such as Community Residential Homes, Supportive Housing, Day Treatment Programs and Life Skills training. Pasadena Villa’s Outpatient Center in Raleigh, North Carolina offers partial hospitalization (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (PHP). If you or someone you know may need mental health services, please complete our contact form or call us at 877-845-5235 for more information.