The last few years haven’t been easy for anyone. Ongoing uncertainty, changing regulations, and a pervasive sense of fear have left many feeling anxious, on edge, and depressed, which is why the importance of taking care of yourself is undeniable.
It sounds simple on the surface, but what does it mean to take care of yourself? The answer differs slightly from person to person. Some people recharge by taking time for themselves, while others need to be around people to refill their cup. Taking care of yourself might look like writing in your journal, going to the gym, talking with a friend, or playing with your pet.
No matter what taking care of yourself looks like for you, it’s vital that you set aside time to do it. If you still haven’t sat down and determined how you can best take care of yourself, now is the time.
The Importance of Taking Care of Yourself
You might think self-care is a bit too “New Age” for you, but everyone can benefit from self-care. It’s like you hear a flight attendant say whenever you board an airplane: “Please put on your oxygen mask before helping others with theirs.” It may seem overstated at this point, but you can’t help others if you don’t take care of yourself first.1 Yet it’s something people often forget, and they stretch themselves thin until they snap time after time.
10 Ways to Take Care of Yourself
The importance of taking care of yourself cannot be stressed enough. If you don’t already have a few set ways to provide yourself with the care you need, here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Spend some time on your own. No matter how extroverted you may be, spending some time alone is good for self-reflection.
- Spend some time with loved ones. On the other hand, no matter how introverted you are, it’s good to spend time with friends and family members who love you.
- Find activities that you enjoy. Enjoyable hobbies and activities, such as crafting or recreational sports leagues, are a great way to have fun throughout the week.
- Move your body. Get some exercise a few times each week, such as going for a walk, swimming a few laps, or lifting some weights at the gym. Movement has a huge impact on your mental health.2
- Focus on nutrition. The foods you eat fuel your body and impact your physical and mental well-being. Make sure you eat a substantial amount of whole foods, avoid excessive alcohol use, and limit caffeine and sugar intake.
- Get outside. Getting outside and spending time in the sun is a great way to take care of yourself and boost your mood.
- Prioritize sleep. Good sleep is the foundation for a good life. Make sure you prioritize sleep if you’re trying to take care of yourself.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You can’t handle everything on your own all the time. There’s nothing wrong with asking for help, including mental health treatment if necessary. Programs like those at Pasadena Villa provide the support and care you may need.
Seeking More Help
If taking care of yourself isn’t doing enough to help your mental state, you may need professional help. Mental health treatment facilities like Pasadena Villa offer the intensive care and treatment you may need to get back on track. To learn more about the programs offered at Pasadena Villa, please call us today at 407-574-5190.
- National Institute of Mental Health. (2021). Caring for Your Mental Health.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2021). Physical Activity Is Good for the Mind and the Body.