Often those with mental illness are uncertain of the best way to address their needs with loved ones. You can help facilitate this important conversation by doing the following:
- Set aside time for conversation in a location that is quiet and free from distractions.
- Preface your comments with statements such as, “Tell me what you need in regards to…” or “Tell me how you feel about…”
- Work to uncover specifically how you can help. It may not be emotional help, perhaps your loved one needs help grocery shopping or with laundry.
- Show your willingness to be available emotionally and physically. Your loved one may not always express thanks or appreciation, but your actions are welcome.
- Encourage your loved one to ask for help when he or she needs it. And then provide that help.
- Help your loved one put a support team together. Who in his or her universe beside you might lend support? How can you request or cultivate that support?
The Villa Orlando and Pasadena Villa’s Smoky Mountain Lodge are adult intensive psychiatric residential treatment centers for clients with serious mental illnesses. We also provide other individualized therapy programs, step-down residential programs, and less intensive mental health services, such as Community Residential Homes, Supportive Housing, Day Treatment Programs and Life Skills training. Pasadena Villa’s Outpatient Center in Raleigh, North Carolina offers partial hospitalization (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (PHP). If you or someone you know may need mental health services, please complete our contact form or call us at 877-845-5235 for more information.