Pasadena Villa’s Residents Enjoy Social Integration Activities: Pioneer Village
Curtis White, CTRS Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist and Marnita Patton, MA, ATR, CCBT, CGT, CDP, Art Therapist at Pasadena Villa Orlando, arranged a Wednesday Recreational Outing to the Osceola County Historical Society Pioneer Village. The Pioneer Village is a collection of authentic structures which stood in different areas of Osceola County. Each structure was carefully relocated and gently preserved to demonstrate how life was once lived before modern times.
Residents got to review different signs throughout the village explaining the scenes and the individuals that had lived there. Everyone got to view the environment, tools used during the era and even see how laundry was done back in the day! The following are the different areas that we visited.
- Partin Family – Caretaker’s House ( Entrance building) Henry O. Partin made history by introducing Brahman cattle to the cattle industry in Florida. This structure was built in 1932 and was originally located on Partin’s ranch and served as a Caretaker’s House. This structure was the first building we walked through and it had a really unique gift shop located inside.
- Blacksmith’s Shop By crafting tools, nails, horseshoes and other items, the blacksmith provided a variety of vital services for the community. Local Boy Scouts used an original plan from the 1800’s to build the shop, which includes a full working forge and even authentic tools.
- Lanier “Cracker House” Lanier House was built in 1889 by the prominent Lanier family. The Cracker House, an early-American form of architecture, is defined by a center breezeway which creates a natural air conditioner. Included with the house is a wash house, smokehouse, and gardens.
- Tyson House The Tyson house shares the story of James C. Tyson and his family. The family had 11 children all living in the single-room dwelling. The Tyson home was built in 1892 and tells the story of an average farming family in the late 1800s.
- The Cadman Complex When the wealthy Cadman family made their way to Florida, they became part of a larger trend: investment. The family came to Florida due to the promise of beauty, natural bounty, temperate climate, and commercial opportunity. For the Cadmans, the enticement came by way of family patriarch, Lt. Col. William Edwin Cadman’s younger brother, John Heaton Cadman, Esq., who was involved in the first Florida land development project.
During the outing our staff and residents modeled and learned appropriate social and communication skills. Our mental health professionals worked directly with residents. They observed them in actual social situations and incorporated these observations directly into each resident’s ongoing treatment plan. This individual and personalized attention makes the Pasadena Villa treatment experience more appropriate, relevant and beneficial for each of our residents, especially when compared to any other available adult residential treatment mental health services.
As one of the very first programs in the country to base its treatment upon Social Integration, our mental health facilities offer help through a unique mix of individualized therapy and group residential programs with a clear focus towards achieving more independent living.
The Villa Orlando and Pasadena Villa’s Smoky Mountain Lodge are adult intensive psychiatric residential treatment centers for clients with serious mental illnesses. We also provide other individualized therapy programs, step-down residential programs, and less intensive mental health services, such as Community Residential Homes, Supportive Housing, Day Treatment Programs and Life Skills training. Pasadena Villa’s Outpatient Center in Raleigh, North Carolina offers partial hospitalization (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (PHP). If you or someone you know may need mental health services, please complete our contact form or call us at 877-845-5235 for more information.
If you think that you or a loved one may be struggling with a mental health disorder, Pasadena Villa can help. We are here to answer questions and connect to care. Pasadena Villa currently offers treatment at two residential locations in both Orlando, Florida and Knoxville, Tennessee , and outpatient services in Cary, North Carolina and Charlotte, North Carolina . To learn more about our program, call us at1.407.378.3519
Complete Our Contact Form